Thursday, October 3, 2013

I Love My Mother

I read ANOTHER amazing book. Bending Towards the Sun, by Leslie Gilbert-Lurie

Her mother was a survivor the Holocaust (in Germany), and tells the story of her mom, herself, and daughter. She talks about the emotional recovery for all three generations. I didn't realize how the trauma one generation experiences, can really affect the next. The closeness of this family was beautiful.

My mother out of town this week. I have missed my mom. It literally doesn't matter how crazy she can make me, or what we disagree on.

She. Is. My. Mommy.

I. Need. Her.

She is my hero. It is lame that she has to be gone for me to remember how much she has positively shaped my life. She did everything she could for us as children. I still remember the cute lunches she packed me. (She cut my sandwiches into squares with the crust cut off. She made me peanut butter crackers, not the cheapo Austin brand, the real deal. Then there was the elf cookies, as a kindergartner I would just eat the cookies and she found out ;) One time she gave me a boiled egg, and the put salt in a bag!!! ) I remember writing a letter as a child to my teenage self telling me to be good to my mom. I really regret not listening.

Mothers everywhere show their children pure, Christ-like love. I am grateful that I have the privilege of receiving this love from my mother. I would not have the love I have in my heart if it wasn't for my mother's example.

I look forward to one day, in the far away future, having babies. I am almost more excited to have them call my mom, "Grandma" or "Nana".

No comments:

Post a Comment