Sunday, August 25, 2013

Sacrifice, Light, and Love: Becoming as the Savior

I wrote this a few weeks ago, but wasn't ready to post it. Now I am:

I had a very special visit with my grandmother yesterday. We share a common faith in the LDS gospel, and have been brought very close through my conversion. I love that she has much to teach me, and I have ears to hear.

We drove to Salt Lake and had dinner at Hires. I am a silly girl, and can live off a compliment for days and days. A hostess at Hires told me I was very pretty. This sounds like silly girl talk, but her simple words made me smile for at least ten minutes straight! The fact that a total stranger would take time and effort to say something kind to me was surprising and lifted me up.
We roamed around Temple Square, and ran into a very sweet pair of sister missionaries, Sister McQueen from New Zealand and Sister Jarrett from Hawaii. I told them I was seventeen, and they told me I looked older. I said, “If I was older, I would be on a mission too right now!” Then my grandma told them I was not yet baptized, and my story spilled out. They were simply delighted from my simple story. It was very spiritual and emotional. Little moments like that just make a girl feel so happy. I must be careful not to let myself become lifted up in pride when others say kind things about my conversion, but rather be grateful for their kind words. They were so happy to be doing what they were doing, I felt even stronger my need to go on my mission. They were beautiful, not only because pretty to see, but because the light of Christ was literally burning in them. I am tearing right now, just thinking about that light. I feel light inside me, and that is where true beauty lies. Our beauty is truly seen through the love of Christ. When I am a missionary, I want to find someone to praise and encourage and tell her she is beautiful. We can build others so high, and our stories can really spark something in a person.

Christ would have us build each other up, as high as we can. We must not allow fear and possible judgment keeping us from showing kindness to strangers, the Lord’s Sheep. It is easy to build those who have our love guaranteed. We never know what we are capable of giving until we reach out to those who need us. 

My grandma brought me genealogy for me to look at, and make copies of. I become very emotional talking about my ancestors, because they sacrificed much to bring the faith of Jesus Christ into their families. From my grandma’s father’s line, we have ancestors who traveled from Denmark in order to escape persecution from the dominant church in the area. They sacrificed their security and home to bring the gospel to generations to come. Where would their children’s children’s children (and so forth), my ancestors be without their bravery? That is pure, Christ like love right there. They didn’t know us, but loved the Lord enough to make that sacrifice.
My grandma’s testimony of their sacrifice touches me. I can see her love for them, and her love for me as she teaches me about their lives. I have been given special gift. Praise the Lord for my grandma, and for her understanding that she is giving to me.

Christ made the ultimate sacrifice on Calvary. He felt individual pain for his brother and sisters. He died, so that we might come to Him. Might. We might. He was not guaranteed our repentance in return, only a possibility. He had no thought of himself, just pure love for us. (Again, I am crying at the very vision of this love and sacrifice)
I testify that it is through love that we conquer this fallen state. Love isn’t about princes and damsels in distress. It is about sacrifice, giving, and gratitude. It is about seeing what the Lord has done for us, and in return, giving what we can to his Sheep. We do these things in accordance to the spirit, to keep ourselves also taken care of. But, we may feel burdened by what the Lord asks us to do. He blesses us  in ways we cannot comprehend when we heed to His will. Literally all he wants to do is give. He gives to those who take what they have, and give it to those who need it more.

In the name of Jesus Christ, Amen.
 

No comments:

Post a Comment