Friday, July 19, 2013

Corrected by the Spirit

I have had several experiences where I hear the spirit gently but directly whisper, "That is not correct." or "Those are precepts of men." or "That's their understanding."

I have hear these whisperings in Sunday school, sacrament meetings, and when we are asked to share our insights. For awhile, I wondered why they had been allowed to say and teach what they did.

I realizied that not all teachers are teaching for their students' sake. Many teachers who are called are called for their sake. For their progression. One of the best ways to learn something to is try teaching it. God has a plan for each of us, and their call to teach, regardless if they are "good" or "bad"is part of their plan. Who are we to criticize?

I also realized:

I have done this. I do this. I will do this. I will fall short when I am teaching, (I plan on teaching as often as I am allowed) and teach precepts of men. I won't be speaking by the spirit, and that is okay.

What isn't okay is for me to continue to teach in ignorance, and be let pride prevent me from correcting my mistakes. I also need to allow my students, and other teachers to share their honest thoughts. In the end, it must be the spirit who confirms truth. I have had teachers tell me things that I knew in my heart were incorrect. Non-members AND members. I don't have to worry because the spirit will always lead me correctly.

The only way I can continually teach by the spirit is by living and heeding to the spirit in my day to day life.

If I can live by the spirit, I can most certainly be given the power to teach by the spirit.

He will give us power that we did not realize we could have. He wants to give and give and give. What we need to do is ask, live obediently, use what he gives us according to his will, and show gratitude.

All this comes down to serving, and bowing down to THE LORD. Not man, not ourselves, not the adversary, but God. He is who the foundation of our testimony must be built upon. The men of the Church are wonderful, and do many good things. But, they are men. They are imperfect.

Elder Holland said,
"Brothers and sisters, this is a divine work in process, with the manifestations and blessings of it abounding in every direction, so please don’t hyperventilate if from time to time issues arise that need to be examined, understood, and resolved. They do and they will. In this Church, what we know will always trump what we do not know. And remember, in this world, everyone is to walk by faith.
So be kind regarding human frailty—your own as well as that of those who serve with you in a Church led by volunteer, mortal men and women. Except in the case of His only perfect Begotten Son, imperfect people are all God has ever had to work with. That must be terribly frustrating to Him, but He deals with it. So should we. And when you see imperfection, remember that the limitation is not in the divinity of the work. As one gifted writer has suggested, when the infinite fullness is poured forth, it is not the oil’s fault if there is some loss because finite vessels can’t quite contain it all.10 Those finite vessels include you and me, so be patient and kind and forgiving."

I am proud to be part of a church run by imperfect men. I don't care if the church history is wobbly, or if church leaders have done wrong to its members. I love it. I forgive men, and I forgive myself for .

No comments:

Post a Comment