Wednesday, July 24, 2013

My Librarian

I would like to write about a very special experience I had today.

I had the opportunity to meet with my childhood librarian. I went to Chaparral K-8 School in Gilbert for my 6th and 7th grade year, and Ms. McKenrick was the school's librarian. I had a closeness with her while I attended that school. She is happy, she loves to read, and I adore her. I was very sad to leave Chaparral for Utah, and she was (and still is) a very special person to me.

We met at Wendy's. My friend Mae (she arranged our little meeting) and I are broke, so this was the perfect spot. I got the sweetest hug from her, and it felt like old times. It is a little different, we are older! We talk about boys and college and the new things of life.

Ms. McKenrick is moving to the Cayman Island to live with her sweetheart. She gave us the full scoop of how they met, what he is like, and showed us cute pictures. She was glowing! She was a like a girl who had just received her first kiss, and now was telling me girlfriends.

I was taught some very important things today, that are very relevant to my life. She is leaving many things behind in Arizona. She is giving away many possessions, and her life is taking a new direction. Something so beautiful about her is her perspective. "A new chapter in my life" is what she told us this was. She was grateful for all her life experiences, and was ready to begin "a new chapter".

I felt inspired by that because my move to Utah was my new chapter. My new found faith was a new chapter. My future has so many new chapters, I look forward to my new chapters. I also see how important it is to fully appreciate the chapter I am living in, and loving look back at the history I have made.

She gave me a picture and framed note that I had given four years ago, and told me her that note had sat on her office window (I believe that's where she said) everyday since I had given it to her. She also gave me a little green-gray heart. It was given to her as a gift, and says Isabel Bloom (I believe that was the creator of the sculpture) on the back. My librarian wanted to give me these things to remember her, and to have a little piece of her.

I wear little CTR rings which symbolize that I am Mormon, and she noticed them. I was hesitant to share my story. I have not been supported by many that I have told, and I can be little afraid. It took me a moment, but I shared that my experiences had lead me to my Mormon Faith. I told her I loved it. I was happy with it. My quest for spiritual knowledge had finally been taken in the correct direction. She was overjoyed for me that I had found something that fills me. She told me that she had been raised Methodist, and had converted to Catholicism (and then back to Methodist). In her life, there were trials that were very hard on her. She told us (not necessarily in these exact words) that she had been brought to Christ through her trials. I can't explain it, because the way she worded it was so beautiful. Her light reflects her faith.

I thought how my move to Utah, and trials of change in my life had broken me down almost to point where I couldn't find happines. I reflected that I had become humble enough through my pains to come to Christ, and learn of him. I desperate for comfort, that I seeked it. I found God. I found my Savior.

I feel very inspired. I want to shout to her, "Look how happy you have chosen to be! I want will to my best ability instill that as permanently in my life as possible!" I love to see her light, because it shows me that what Christ has done for me, he has done for many others precious souls. I love how she has made such a full life for herself, regardless of her struggles. I look up to her.

We will stay in touch. Our paths will cross again, especially if they are meant to. I don't feel sad, I feel happy. I feel very inspired to reflect on my personal happiness. My struggles are not forever. Christ is how I will charge through my trials, even in my weakness. I am not my weakness. I am who God has created me to be, and I am strengthened through my faith in Christ.

Ms. McKenrick, if you read this, I love you. Thank you for being instrument in the Lord's hand, and teaching me.




No comments:

Post a Comment