Friday, July 26, 2013

Speak Your Silence

CLICK THIS LINK!

http://speakyoursilence.org/

My Brother in Law, Matt runs the Speak Your Silence non-profit. Its cause is for children who have been sexually abused. Its cause to is help those who have been affected break their silence, in order to heal.

This a subject no one really wants to talk about.

However, talking about it can help others find release from their experience, and learn how to protect their children from it. I believe talking about it can be the first step to healing.

I have been fortunate to have never experienced this personally (see? We don't like to say, "I have never been sexually abused". I instead used the word this). But I know that people I am close with have been abused in this way, so actually, I have been affected by it. Therefore, I want to be a part in healing their hurt.

I believe that it is awkward to talk about sex (gasp I said sex) in general, but it is so important! Most of us have "heard" about something pertaining to human sexuality from "other kids". A lot of times, they don't explain it in the proper light. I know I have learned about things that my parents didn't cover from kids at school. I wish I had heard it from my parents first.

How are parents supposed to know that kids at school will tell their child things first? My parents taught me many things, but they couldn't anticipate how much/when to tell me. What can I do ?The only way to solve this problem is by talking about it. By it I mean sex, abuse, and the scary things of the world.
 
Why is this so important to me?

I have regrets. I have things I wish I could back. I wish that there were things I could have talked about, before the situation actually happened. I also recognize that sometimes I have to experience them personally to learn, I can't just hear word of mouth. My mom and I have had many of these circumstances, she teaches me, but I don't listen.

All these things don't necessarily pertain to sexuality, but life in general. I hope that I can take my regrets and suffering, and talk about them with my future children, to teach them rather then have them go through the same pain. I do have to let my kids make their own mistakes.

I plan to have children, and the world is a sick place. I can't put a leash on my children, and follow them around. What I can do, is tell them about the world. Rather them keep them in the dark, I want to shine light on the subject. Tell them what our bodies are created for and how to probably use them and respect them. Tell them that there are sadly people who don't respect the bodies of others, and it is up to us to say no. Tell that if it does happen to them that they are not at fault, and that their parents and Heavenly Father. Tell them things that other kids might try to tell them, but tell them in the proper light.

My prayer is that those who have been affected by abuse, have had very devastating events take place in their life, or even have made mistakes in their life that need to be released, may have the opportunity to heal. I pray that I can be an instrument in the Lord's hand to help those who need me. The first step I can make it by speaking up rather keeping myself in the dark, believing that child sexual abuse won't ever happen to someone I love.

No comments:

Post a Comment